Tuesday, January 15, 2013

It isn't always convenient...

Typically, when things are convenient there is no challenge. If there is no challenge, it doesn't change you. If you're happy where you are, then convenience is perfect, carry on. Otherwise - create challenges, push yourself, and stay passionate. Wake up determined, go to bed satisfied- repeat.

It has been difficult pushing myself to workout 'harder' than normal when World's is 10 months away. I find that I'm trying to convince myself I can push harder as it gets closer. Unfortunately, I think this would only work with a regular TM race, not World's - which brings me to this quote that keeps showing up in random news feeds, Pinterest pages, Tumblr shots, and Instagram photos.
Must be a sign. Time to break down this long term goal. 
We all know I do not love running. I'd rather lift any day than go for a run. However, the two completely amazing athletes that took first place at World's completed around 90 miles - eek! No, I will not be completing 90 miles, but I WILL be completing 3x as many miles as I've ever even attempted to run.
Here's what I have decided to do-
I took Junyong Pak's (2x WTM winner) training methods into consideration. His training is intense. So intense he turns his heat off for a few months prior to the race, leaving his house in the upper 40's! Not to mention in the winter he runs in full gear while finding rivers, streams, and ponds to swim through. I'm yet to attempt this, although I do purposefully run through EVERY deep puddle, it keeps my feet nice and cold.
With Pak's methods on my mind I started training when it wasn't convenient: rain, snow, and nights. I am hoping this will help with the mental preparations necessary to last 24 hours in the brutal elements that World's will bring. The cold, over a 24 hour period, is my number one concern. I have Raynaud's Syndrome (thank you Mom) and this run (see below) was only an hour and my hands and toes already started to go. We'll see what happens with 23 more hours added on.

I went on another exciting night run, this time in the rain! It was only about 4-5 miles, but the puddles were ankle deep, which was fun. I made sure to splash through each one. My feet were pretty cold, but my hands stayed warm, which was a first! During this run I stopped at McCormick Park to do a few rounds of monkey bars, cold-wet monkey bars. I also ran with my new headlamp- my first World's gear purchase! 
-Love this-

Tomorrow - I will run. I will run further than I have in the past few months. 



1 comment: